You will love this. It is easy, delicious and so much healthier than your average creamy pasta recipe. With the addition of oats (it may seem weird, I know) it adds an extra thickness and fullness without the need for creams or processed thickeners. I absolutely love this dish as there is no need for cashews! A lot of our creamy recipes use cashews as a base and I know that you all ask us for different alternatives due to cashews being hard to find, expensive or an allergen. This recipe is brilliant and a great one to have on hand as you will always have the ingredients. We hope you love it as much as we do :) Enjoy!
500g pasta (we used spelt spirals)
3 cups plant milk (I use Vitasoy's Calci Plus)
3 BIG handfuls of baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup rolled oats
freshly cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 HUGE handful of baby spinach
- Prepare and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime, add all "the sauce" ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. It will seem thin. Set aside.
- In a pan on high heat, add the oil and onion and saute until the onion is transparent.
- Add the garlic and saute for one minute.
- Pour in the sauce and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Allow to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Throw in the handful of baby spinach.
- Once the pasta is ready, drain and and pour the sauce over the pasta and toss until coated.
- Serve immediately with freshly cracked black pepper, salt and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
The nutritional information above are guidelines. One serving of this delicious dish gives you one third of your daily iron intake and one third of your calcium.