Oh em gee... these are seriously cray. By crazy I mean "what-the-hell-do-you-mean-these-are-healthy-and-not-going-straight-to-my-thighs" kind of cray. For those who follow us on Facebook you would have seen that I was making two versions of these vegan ferrero rochers... a healthy batch and a naughty batch. However, I just didn't think that the naughty version was as delicious and worth the time as this healthy version. The naughty version contained a lot of bad ingredients and took a lot more time and effort. After trying this healthy version which is sooo quick and easy to make, I can't even be bothered publishing the naughty recipe. Why make something bad for you when the healthy version is sooooooo damn good? Exactly! These are chocolatey and rich with that kick of hazelnut which tastes so much like the original ferrero rocher. Trust me and my vegan taste buds and get up right now, put on your floral apron, get a cup of tea brewing, smack on a smile, move to some Rick Astley and start making the most delicious bunch of ballies you will EVER eat!
makes 21 1-teaspoon sized ballies
3 tablespoon cocoa or cacao
teaspoon of water or coconut oil (to help combine)
1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- On a baking tray, add the hazenuts in a single layer and bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes or so until the skins begin to crack and become fragrant.
- Pour the hazelnuts into a tea towel and rub to remove all of the skins.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients including the skinned hazelnuts and blend until a big ball is formed. Add a tiny bit of water if needed to help combine.
- Divide into the desired number of ballies... however big or small you would like!
- Start shoving these ballies in your mouth and don't feel guilty about it!
Mia (our scrumptious vegan baby) is already 10 months! I can't believe it. Those of you who follow us would probably be shocked at how quickly time has gone! It feels like just yesterday that she was a little lovely bundle in my belly, constantly kicking and jumping with hiccups. She will be 1 soon and we cannot wait to start planning her first vegan birthday party!