230ml soy milk
20ml fresh lemon juice
- In a jug or bowl, add the soymilk and the lemon juice.
- Whisk and allow to sit for 10 minutes or so until thickened.
- Enjoy your easy, quick and delicious vegan buttermilk!
- If you are substituting this buttermilk in a recipe, it may alter the balance of the baking powder or baking soda if the recipe calls for it. Goodbaker.com suggests reducing the baking powder by 1 teaspoon and replacing it with 1/4 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of buttermilk used.
- Soy milk is needed to make vegan buttermilk due to its high protein content. This allows the lemon juice to effectively curdle the soy milk leading to it thickening. Other plant based milks may not work.