Caramel is always the answer to everything. Feeling sad? Caramel. Feeling peckish? Caramel. Your boyfriend broke up with you? Caramel. Have a funny looking rash? Well you should probably see a doctor about this one. But in all seriousness, these cupcakes are delicious, creamy, not-too-sweet, salty, decadent, scrumptious with a big hit of vegan amazingnessdeliciousnessohmygoshness. You will die with pleasure. Ok... I am done with the sales pitch. I am always on the lookout for healthier and better alternatives to non-vegan food... especially ones that taste better than the non-vegan alternative. This caramel is perfect. It is creamy and rich and tastes exactly like the caramel my Nanna would make using brown sugar and condensed milk. The dates, maple syrup and margarine create the same consistency and induce this amazing taste that completely mirrors my childhood memories. Now, my Nanna is what I would class as a "caramel snob". She loves caramel and practically lives for caramel... I am surprised that my Mum's middle name isn't Caramel. Now, as a lovely vegan Nanna she no longer makes the pot of condensed-milk based caramel. I am glad about this as she would stand there at the stove looking like Gollum's evil twin, stirring the caramel and babying it like her first born. I still remember saying "Nanna, can I please try some of your caramel?" and my hair would blow in the swift movement of her body as she would spin around and screech "Noooo!" like the caramel god of caramel land had taken over her body. But back to the point... she is a caramel snob and she loves our vegan recipe, so I suppose that is a good sign. Anyway, I would love for you to try these. I guarantee that you will love them! Oh and don't forget to sprinkle the cakey deliciouness with salt to add a whole new level... the level of I-can't-believe-its-vegan. Enjoy!
1 cup plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup plain flavoured oil
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup plant milk (such as Soy Milky Lite)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
20 dried dates
4 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegan margarine (at room temp.)
salt to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a cupcake tray with 10 patty pans. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: add all 'cupcake' ingredients to a bowl and beat until smooth without lumps.
- Divide the mixture between the patty pans and bake for 20 minutes or so until a skewer comes out clean when poked into the centre of one of the cupcakes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- In the meantime, make the caramel frosting. Add all 'frosting' ingredients to a processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste, and be amazed at the caramelly deliciousness. Set aside.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, divide the frosting on to the tops of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately!
- Enjoy the little cakey delciousness :)
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline.
The caramel-fanatic (AKA my Nanna) above.