Ok, these are the most amazing date balls I have ever eaten in my life. Jerome loves them so much that he even made a big batch to take to our baby shower and everyone loved them. The crazy thing about these balls is that they taste like a decadent naughty sweet dessert but are actually not naughty at all! In fact, they are made from completely guilt-free ingredients... they are like a wonder dessert! Jerome and I always make different types of date balls but this is the first time we have added the deliciousness of orange rind. The orange rind adds this amazing rich flavour to the balls and makes them taste so luxurious. Whenever I make a batch of these to put in the fridge, Jerome eats them all in one go. It is way too hard to pace yourself... we started making these in massive sizes to limit the amount of trips to the fridge hehe. I guarantee that you will love them!
makes 25 - 30 balls
1 cup dates
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup almonds
2 tablespoons cocoa or cacao
orange rind from 1 whole orange
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon water*
- Add all ingredients except for the orange rind to a processor and process for 1 minute or so until completely combined, sticky and chopped. It should almost form a large ball in the processor due the stickiness If it doesn't seem sticky, add a tiny drizzle of water and pulse until sticky.
- Add in the orange rind and pulse a few times until the orange rind has been distributed.
- Take 1-teaspoon portions of the mixture and roll in to balls. Do this will all of the mixture.
- Refrigerate or place in a container until needed. Enjoy!
- *The 1 teaspoon of water is optional. I find that it makes the mixture a lot more sticky and makes it easier to roll the balls. If the mixture is already sticky enough feel free to omit the water.