If you follow Veggieful on Facebook, you would have been awaiting this recipe with excitement due to my non-stop bragging about how delicious it is! Jerome and I made one batch the other day and was hoping to photograph it but it was way too delicious and we ate it all in one go hehe. Yesterday (12th October 2013), Jerome and I celebrated Veggieful reaching 1,000,000 hits and we just couldn't believe how far Veggieful had come. We want to send out lots of hugs, kisses and veggie happiness to all of our lovely followers for the support and love you have given us since our Veggieful journey began. We couldn't have done it without you! So, to celebrate, we made another batch of this to photograph... and eat. Now back to the vegan delicious of caramel land... there are three amazing things about this recipe that I am sure will make you incredibly addicted and excited. Firstly, it only has FOUR ingredients... yes, four! Secondly, it is a 'healthier' version of chocolate caramel slice in the means that it doesn't contain a margarine-y biscuity base and a fattening caramel. The dates and the maple syrup blend into the most creamy, decadent, sticky, oozing and CRAZY caramel. I would never have thought that two not-so-guilty ingredients could produce such a sweet and decadent wonder. Our life has truly changed. Anywho, thirdly, it is so quick and easy to make. You just process the components, spread them into a tin and refrigerate. Well, we really hope that you love this as much as we do... and we are sure you will! This would be a delicious, rich and impressive dessert to take to a party to show off the wonders of vegan cooking! Have a lovely day :)
2/3 cup shredded coconut
4 tablespoons maple syrup
80g vegan dark chocolate (70% cocoa or above)
- Line a baking tin (I used 22cm long x 13cm wide x 7cm deep) with baking paper (it helps to remove the slice later on).
- Base: In a food processor, blend the dates and coconut until combined and finely chopped. Pour it into the baking tin and press with your fingers until a firm and solid base has formed. Make sure to push it evenly into the corners.
- Caramel: In a food processor, blend the dates and maple syrup for 1 or so minutes until it has turned into a smooth, sticky and completely blended caramel without chunks. Spoon and spread this evenly over the base in the baking tin.
- Top: Melt the dark chocolate. Pour it over the caramel layer and spread evenly with a spoon.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate has set and cut into 8 pieces (if you can't wait, place it in the freezer for a quicker setting time!). Enjoy!
- I just use dried dates. I do not soak them beforehand. I find that when processed for 1 minute or so with maple syrup, it is processed into a complete cream. No need for soaking. Yay!
- If you want to make the recipe even more natural, you could always omit the dark chocolate and make your own with coconut oil, cacao or cocoa and natural sweeteners. Your choice :)
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline. One slice of our delicious chocolate caramel slice contains only 222 calories, which is amazingly good for such a rich and sweet dessert. You will probably only need one piece to completely satisfy you! Also, one piece contains 15% of RDI of iron.