What is 5 ingredients, tastes amazing and will explode your brain? Vegan NUTELLA! Ohhhhh yes. I guarantee that once you have made this you will never crave nutella or a store-bought chocolate hazelnut spread again. This is delicious, sweet, smooth, amazingly hazelnutty and so much healthier than the original. We love love LOVE this. I was really worried that Jerome would die of shock when he tried it... so I gave him a little bit at first just in case. One second later, half the jar had been eaten by the naughty sweet-toothed Jerome. He photographed it straight away so that you too can join the land of Veggieful's crazy chocolatey hazelnutty spread goodness. Interestingly, our recipe contains a hazelnut content of 50% whereas nutella only contains 13%. Make sure you read the nutritional information at the bottom of this post to see more comparisons between Veggieful's spread and Nutella's spread. Enjoy!
150g raw hazelnuts
3 tablespoons cocoa or cacao
120ml (6 tablespoons) Soy Milky Lite
40ml (2 tablespoons) pure maple syrup
2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Once the oven has heated, pour the hazelnuts in a single layer on the baking tray and bake for about 5 to 8 minutes until the skins have darkened and the hazelnuts have become fragrant.
- Rub the hazelnuts between your hands or in a tea towel to remove as much of the skins as possible. It doesn't matter if you cannot remove some of the skins... just remove as many as you can.
- Place the skinned hazelnuts into a high-speed food processor and process for 1 to 2 minutes until they have been processed into a smooth paste (it should be similar to the consistency of peanut butter - thick and smooth-ish). Have a little taste at this point because it is so delicious already!
- Add in all of the other ingredients and process for another 20 seconds or so until completely combined and smooth.
- Start devouring immediately or refrigerate until needed. Enjoy and have fun in Veggieful's land of hazelnutty goodness.
- To make it more chocolatey - add more cocoa or cacao
- To make it more smooth - add a little bit of vegetable oil, plain flavoured oil or process for longer.
- To make it more sweet - add more maple syrup.
- To make it thinner - add more soy milk.
- To make it thicker - add less soy milk or a little bit more cocoa or cacao.
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline. Our vegan hazelnut spread is equally or even more delicious than Nutella and has so many more benefits too. In a comparison of 20g of our spread and 20g of Nutella, by eating ours you will save 26 calories, you will consume more protein, 1/5 of the sugar content, 1/4 of the saturated fat and less salt. Also, our spread has 50% hazelnut content whereas Nutella only has 13%. The two most prominent ingredients in Nutella is sugar and vegetable oil, whereas the two most prominent ingredients in our spread is hazelnuts and soy milk. Ta da!