This recipe is the healthy version of peaches and cream... but in a vegan breakfast form! If you are looking for a new delicious healthy breakfast recipe then this is it! No more vegemite toast for you! I always loved the idea of peaches and cream and have been thinking for a while of how to incorporate it into a yummy vegan recipe. The tofu yoghurt recipe below is really delicious and is a great basis for any type of flavoured yoghurt. Add peaches, strawberries, blueberries, banana or any of your favourite fruits for a delicious homemade and healthy yoghurt recipe. It is really important to purchase a plain-flavoured and nice tasting silken tofu... I really enjoy some and dislike other brands so it really is up to personal taste. You may also need to add more lemon juice, vanilla or sweetener to appeal to your palate. If you still don't like the taste of tofu, you could add some berries to the yoghurt and make it a peaches and berry yoghurt breakfast! Hehe. I am really sure that you will enjoy this. It definitely tastes similar to a breakfast that you would purchase from a cute boutique cafe. Yum yum yum! Have a go and let us know what you think :)
1 large peach, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Vegan Vanilla Tofu Yoghurt:
300g silken tofu
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence or a vanilla bean
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Make the crumble: In a bowl, add the coconut, oats and maple syrup and stir until combined. Pour the mixture on to the baking tray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned on top. Once browned, pull out of the oven and stir the crumble around. Set aside and let sit for 10 minutes or so to dry out and become crunchy.
- Make the peaches: In the meantime, in a small bowl, add the sliced peaches, cinnamon and maple syrup. Toss until covered. Set aside.
- Make the yoghurt: In a food processor, add the silken tofu, lemon juice, vanilla and maple syrup. Process until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more lemon juice and sweetener if needed (If your brand of tofu still has a very strong taste, you could add berries or fruit to help disguise the flavour). Set the yoghurt aside.
- Divide the tofu yoghurt in to the bottom of two large glasses. Top with the peaches, peach syrup and the crumble. Serve immediately!
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline. One serving of our delicious recipe contains 30% of your RDI of iron and 20% of your RDI of vitamin C. It also is really high in manganese!