Jerome is obsessed with sweet loaves and breads... especially ones with date and banana! We made this together and sat on our balcony in the afternoon sun and ate this with tea... it was so perfect. This delicious vegan date and walnut loaf is 100% dedicated to Jerome and his cake obsession. It is definitely a loaf/cake to make for tea parties or when friends are coming over for coffee. The great thing about this recipe is that you just throw everything into a bowl, beat it, bake it and eat it! This loaf is sweet, decadent, fluffy and so moist! I know... the word 'moist' doesn't sound appetizing but it really does describe the deliciously soft texture of this bread. Jerome's friends loved this and couldn't believe that it was home made I guarantee that you will love this... Tell me how it goes!
makes: 1 loaf
prep time: 5 minutes
cooking time: 45 minutes
2 cups self-raising flour
1/3 cup vegan margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Soy Milky Lite
½ cup pureed over-ripe banana
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup (140g) pitted dates
½ cup (40g) walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and spray oil a baking tin (approx. 22cm long x 13cm wide x 7cm deep).
- In a food processor, pulse the dates and walnuts until they are finely chopped.
- Pour the dates and walnuts into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Beat with electric beaters (if possible) for one minute or so until all ingredients are completely combined and smooth.
- Pour the smooth mixture into the oiled baking tin.
- Sprinkle the top with extra chopped walnuts if desired.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until risen and the top has browned and a skewer poked in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes or so.
- Serve and start being amazed by the datey deliciousness.