50g icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
12.5ml melted vegan margarine
Make the icing:
- Add the icing sugar, margarine and red colouring to a bowl.
- Stir until fully combined into a pliable ball of icing. The icing should easily be rolled into a ball.
- Start preparing the rosebuds following the steps below immediately.
Make the rosebuds:
- Roll a small ball of icing with the diameter of between 1cm and 1.5cm.
- Place the ball of icing in the palm of your hand and use both hands to roll it into a sausage shape.
- Place the sausage shape in one palm and use your other hand to flatten it out.
- Then carefully with your fingers, roll one side of the flat shape into a rosebud.
- Ta da! Enjoy!
- Start preparing the roses as soon as you make the icing. It will be more pliable at this point. Do it as quickly as you can before the icing begins to dry out.
- If you don't want to use an artificial food colouring, you can make your own natural colouring. Beetroot juice and beetroot powder can give your icing a lovely colour. On the other hand, you can purchase natural and organic food colouring from some health food stores.
- The icing makes a bit more than you may need. It allows you to practice and choose the best looking roses.