Ever since making our delicious vegan bounty balls, I have been on the lookout for more popular chocolate bars to "veganise" and make into balls. The other day, Jerome and I were in the supermarket and I saw a shelf of cherry ripes. We were talking about how much we enjoyed them in the past so I decided to make our own version of the chocolate bar and it turned out amazingly! These are easy, delicious, taste like a cherry ripe and only contain 4 ingredients! How exciting and amazing! I was so excited for Jerome to come home and try these as I knew that he would be in love with them. I watched him take a bite and saw his eyes light up while saying "Wow they really do taste like a cherry ripe". So, I am really happy to post this recipe to you all and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
makes: 15 balls
2 tablespoons icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
200g glazed cherries (glacé cherries)
200g vegan dark chocolate
200g vegan dark chocolate
shredded coconut for rolling (optional)
- Add the glazed cherries to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Scoop the finely chopped cherries into a bowl.
- Add the icing sugar and shredded coconut to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Use two-teaspoon portion measures of the coconut mixture and roll them into balls. Repeat this step until all of the coconut centre mixture has been used. Set the balls aside.
- In another bowl, melt the dark chocolate.
- Dip each of the balls into the dark chocolate and roll around until completely coated.
- Roll the balls around in extra coconut if desired or sprinkle with coconut from afar.
- Place the freshly dipped balls onto a plate. Repeat until all cherry ripe balls have been covered in chocolate and rolled in coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours until the chocolate has hardened.
- Serve immediately or place in a glass jar for a cute little gift. Enjoy!
- If the coconut centre is a little bit too soft to roll, place the mixture in the freezer for 15 minutes or so until slightly firmed up. This will make them easier to roll.
- I don't roll my cherry balls in coconut. I just sprinkle with coconut from afar which looks quite cute.
- Glazed/glacé cherries are packaged sticky candied cherries that are coated in a sugary syrup. You can find them at your local supermarket in the baking section or dried fruit section. Your cherries will be coated in a sticky syrup and should not be packaged in a large amount of syrup. If they are stored in a large amount of syrup, drain them before adding the cherries to the processor.
- Add more glazed cherries for that extra cherry hit.
- For a brighter red centre, purchase the more brightly coloured cherries. Some will be dark and others will be a bright red.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness if necessary by adding a little bit more icing sugar until the desired sweetness is attained.
- Gift them in a cute little jar with a bow for a sweet present.
- Serve them on a platter at a party or BBQ for an easy-to-eat dessert.
- These would be lovely as a Valentines Day gift or Christmas dessert.
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline.