makes about 2 1/4 cups
OOoooo creamy white sauce... it makes my mouth water just thinking about it! Now, I have tried many vegan white sauces and I have not really enjoyed any of them. So, when I was creating my wild mushroom pizza I decided to invent the perfect vegan béchamel sauce recipe... without any strange or hard-to-get ingredients and this is it! This is creamy, "cheesy" and has that genuine delicious white sauce flavour. I think the trick with this sauce is to finely mince the onion and to make it creamy by sautéing it with some vegan margarine. Yum yum yum! You can serve this over pastas, pizzas, bakes and anything else that you love to eat! Try it and let me know what you think :)
¼ cup vegan margarine
¼ cup tightly packed minced yellow onion*
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup corn flour (corn starch)
2 cups soy milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg
- In a pot on medium to high heat, add the margarine, onion and garlic.
- Sauté for one to two minutes until the margarine has melted and the onion is transparent.
- Add the corn flour and stir until it forms a paste.
- Add the soy milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk for a few more minutes or so until the sauce has thickened. Be careful not to let the sauce burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Take off the heat and cool. (The sauce will thicken even more when cooled)
- Serve on bakes, pastas, pizzas and anything else you want to eat!
- Finely mince the onion so that it becomes extra creamy when sautéed with the margarine. This also allows for the flavour to be evenly distributed without any chunks.
- Choose a soy milk that you like the taste of.