Makes 2x 12cm pies or 4x 6cm pies
Ooooo Christmas is getting closer and closer and weirdly enough, it feels like it was Christmas only a few months ago! I have been brainstorming Christmas dishes and desserts over the last few days and have been creating some amazing taste sensations! One being this delicious vegan fruit mince pie. This was requested by Chelsea, one of Veggieful's Facebook page followers :) I have never been a fruit mince pie person or a fruit cake person for that matter... but I really love these! They are a great gift or for dessert on Christmas day... make them the day before or even marinate the filling overnight for that extra tastiness! I hope that you love these as much as we do! :)
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 cup grated green apple
1 1/4 cups mixed dried fruit
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons brown rum*
3 tablespoons strawberry jam
1 tablespoon orange rind (if there is no orange in your dried fruit)
2 frozen sheets vegan shortcrust pastry (500g), defrosted
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and spray oil two 12cm tart pans (Or you can do 4x 6cm tart pans). Set aside.
- Add all fruit filling ingredients to a bowl. Stir until fully combined. Set aside.
- Add the shortcrust pastry to the pans and push carefully into the sides. Slice off the excess pastry and set aside.
- Using a star-shaped pastry cutter, cut out 2 stars from the leftover pastry and set aside.
- Prick the base of the pastry pans with a fork to prevent it from bubbling up in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or so until the pastry has browned and the base has hardened.
- Divide the fruit mixture between the two pastry pans and spread it out a with a spoon to tightly pack the fruit mixture into the corners. Make sure you really press it down tightly.
- Top with the pastry stars.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so until the pastry star has browned and the fruit mixture is slightly bubbling.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
- *You can substitute the brown rum with brandy or sherry if you would rather.
- If you feel comfortable making your own shortcrust pastry, feel free!
- If you have the time, leave the fruit filling overnight in the fridge to marinate for extra tastiness!
- You can use any type of jam including marmalade.
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline.