There is nothing more comforting than a cold night in bed with your loved one, eating a bowl of creamy bread and butter pudding with a nice hot tea. Bread and butter pudding gives me so many memories of when I was little and mum would make it for dessert. It is such a simple dish but is so delicious and creamy. The saltiness of the vegan margarine goes so well with the savoury bread, the sweetness of the luscious custard and the bursts of juiciness from the sultanas. Ohhh I could eat some right now! Jerome and I were in bed last night watching TV boxsets while we ate it and drank chamomile tea. It was so comforting!
5 level tablespoons corn flour (corn starch)
6 tablespoons white sugar
2 cups soy milk
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
11 slices of plain bread
2 – 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup sultanas
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and grease a baking a rectangular baking dish (approx. 22cm long x 13cm wide x 7cm deep).
- Make the custard: Add all custard ingredients to a saucepan (not on the stove) and whisk vigorously until completely combined and smooth without lumps. Place the saucepan on to the stove on low-medium heat. Continue to whisk frequently for about 10 minutes until it is slowly brought to the boil. Be careful that the custard does not stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Once brought to the boil and slightly thickened take off the heat. Set aside.
- Lightly toast all of the bread slices.
- Spread margarine onto the toasted bread slices and cut in half diagonally into triangles. (You can cut the crusts off if you wish but I think the crusts add extra crunchiness).
- Layer the bread into the dish so the top of the triangle is pointing upwards and each piece of bread rests on the piece behind. (See photo at the top of this page).
- Distribute the sultanas evenly between the layers.
- Pour the custard evenly all over the bread into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes until the tops of the bread have browned and the custard has cooked and has a "skin".
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- It may seem like there is a lot of custard but it will be soaked up and the more custard means the yummier the end result!
- The cinnamon really makes it taste that extra bit delicious. Make sure you add the cinnamon on the top!
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline.