Makes approx. 3 cups
Jerome is so excited for me to post his famous 'Chocolate Custard'. Whenever I am feeling tired with a sweet tooth I always ask him to make this for me. The beauty of this custard is that you can eat it straight away hot off the stove or if you are patient, store it in the fridge for at least 3 hours until it is completely set. I have to admit that sometimes I can't wait if I feel like a nice hot custard. However, it is DEFINITELY worth the wait if you can be patient and wait for it to set and eat it cold. The taste completely changes once it is cold and sets. It tastes really similar to chocolate yoghurt such as YoGo. Yum yum yum! I highly recommend that you make this and let you explore a whole new world of vegan desserts! We were originally going to include this in our Vegan Lunchbox Ideas eBook but I really wanted to share it with you all :) I didn't want to hide it in an eBook... it is way too delicious hehe.
4 level tablespoons corn flour
6 tablespoons white sugar
2 cups soy milk
1 cup water
5 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and whisk vigorously until completely combined and smooth without lumps.
- Place the saucepan on the stove on low-medium heat, continue to whisk frequently for about 10 minutes until it slowly brought to the boil. Be careful that the custard does not stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Take off the heat at this point (It will have thickened but will still be easy to pour).
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes to allow to thicken if eating hot or pour into a bowl or ramekin and refrigerate for at least 3 hours until completely set. The set consistency will be similar to a soft jelly.
- In the first step, make sure you whisk the ingredients in a cool pot before adding it to the heat to avoid lumps.