Mum always tried to make me eat homemade potato chips when I was little but I never liked them. I never though they compared to greasy, deep-fried chips that you buy from the shops. So, the other night I was making homemade veggie burgers and I thought that it would be really delicious to make some chips to go on the side. Kind of like a healthier version of a burger and chips value meal. So, I experimented with some spices and it turned out to be amazingly delicious! I felt like my eyes had just opened to the world of oven-roasted potato chips. The incredible thing about these chips is that they are soooo delicious and incredibly more healthy than deep-fried fries. I think that having a mixture of russet potatoes and sweet potato makes it more colourful, rustic and a combination of sweetness. However, use whatever potatoes you have on hand. Try them for yourself. I also keep the skin on the russet potatoes... it makes them crunchier! Experiment with spices and tell me how you go. :)
250g sweet potatoes
250g russet potatoes
250g russet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees celsius and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Thoroughly wash your potatoes and peel the sweet potato. Keep the skin on the russet potatoes for extra crunchiness.
- Cut potatoes into thick a thick french fries shape.
- Place on baking tray and lightly spray over them with olive oil.
- Give them a good sprinkle of sea salt and distribute 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping them once and giving them an extra spray of olive oil if needed.
- Serve once browned and crispy to your liking.
- I don't think that he chips need any more olive oil than a light spray but feel free to add more to your liking.
- The chips will have finished cooking when browned and quite crispy.
- Experiment with different spices and herbs, such as: a spring of rosemary, a couple of thyme leaves, cumin, garlic, onion powder, cayenne pepper, balsamic vinegar etc...
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline.