My mum has been pressuring me to make pesto for a while now... so when I was planning out my meals for the week I decided that I would give-in and make up my own version of pesto pasta. I think we all know what are the main components of pesto, so I just added the ingredients to taste and made the yummiest version! I absolutely loved it! It was one of those meals where you just can't believe that you made it. It really tasted like a restaurant dish! I am going to be like my mum now and urge you all to make this pesto pasta! It was absolutely delicious and the the cherry tomatoes add that burst of flavour and sweetness! The nutritional yeast adds that cheesy flavour! Yum yum yum! ^-^
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (what is this?)
1/3 cup pine nuts
4 cups basil leaves
salt and pepper
1/2 small lemon, juiced
1/3 cup olive oil
400g pasta of choice
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
vegan parmesan cheese (to serve)
- In a food processor, add all sauce ingredients except for the olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Once the sauce is smooth, keep processing and add the olive oil gradually until well combined.
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the sauce and halved cherry tomatoes to a large serving bowl.
- Drain pasta and add to bowl and toss to combine.
- Serving options: Serve with salt and pepper, fresh basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Making the pesto sauce a couple of hours before will let the pesto sit and the flavours to become stronger and more beautiful. So if possible, try and make the pesto in advance!