Makes 1 mug muffin
The other night, Jerome and I were really craving something sweet but we had hired the second season of Offspring and were too enthralled to spend ages cooking something. So, I made up this '2 minute vegan microwaveable chocolate muffin' that takes 30 seconds to prepare and 1 minute 30 seconds to cook. The amazing thing about this muffin is that there's no mess as you make it all in a mug. Yes that 's right! You add all of the ingredients into a mug, stir well and cook a single muffin. You can serve with fresh berries, vegan cream, vegan custard, a sprinkling of icing sugar etc... It is an amazing, quick vegan chocolate muffin. Woo! I also like to poke one or two pieces of dark chocolate in the centre of the muffin before microwaving... it gives you that gooey chocolatey centre! Check out my tips at the bottom of this page for serving suggestions and hints on how to make the best and fluffiest muffin.
2 tablespoons self-raising flour
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons soy milk
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
splash of vanilla
1 large mug
1 tablespoon choc chips
sprinkle with icing sugar
serve with fresh berries
- Lightly spray oil the inside of a large mug.
- Add milk, oil and vanilla to the mug.
- Add flour, sugar and cocoa to the wet ingredients.
- Whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Cook in microwave on high heat for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Take out of microwave. Check to make sure the top has cooked and looks fluffy.
- Serve in the mug or on a plate.
- Metric system is used for all measurements.
- Add a piece of dark chocolate or two into the mug muffin before microwaving for that extra chocolately hit!
- The more you whisk the mixture, the fluffier it gets!
- Use a knife around the sides of the mug if the muffin does not release easily.
- Serving suggestions: sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with a vegan custard/cream/icecream or fresh berries.
- It is easier to mix it in the mug, however, for a more combined consistency I whisk a double batch in a mixing bowl and divide between two mugs. I find that it is well combined that way.
The nutrition information above is an approximate guideline and does not include the "optional" ingredients.