This is my favourite thing to make for breakfast. It is really easy and SO filling!
Tofu scramble recipe adapted from about.com
2 Slices of bread, toasted and buttered with a vegan spread
Scramble Tofu350g of extra FIRM tofu, drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of curry powder (I use Keens)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and Pepper
2 tomatoes, sliced
Few basil leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
extra oil if needed
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Mushrooms and Asparagus
Bunch of asparagus
Handful of mushrooms, stems chopped off
1 tablespoon oil
Extra basil leaves to garnish
Salt and Pepper for extra seasoning
- Put onion into a pan on high heat with the oil and allow to caramelise and brown. Keep tossing if it is sticking to the bottom. (Cook for as long and dark as you want your onions... take off heat when they are done)
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, place the block of tofu and all of the other scramble ingredients besides the oil. Use a fork and crush the tofu into smaller bits while coating it with the spices. Put the oil and the coated tofu in a pan on medium heat. Using a spatula, keep tossing it around and breaking it up into smaller bits.
- While the onion and tofu are cooking, put the sliced tomatoes in the pan with the minced garlic, a few basil leaves and extra oil if needed. Flip them over after each side has browned.
- Add the mushrooms and asparagus to the same pan or another pan with a tablespoon of oil. Cook mushrooms until they have shrunk. Cook the asparagus until browned - keep flipping to brown each side.
- Toast bread and butter it. (vegan butter)
- Chop up an avocado into lengthwise slices and set aside.
- Take tofu, onions, asparagus and mushrooms off heat when done and distribute onto plates. Take tomatoes off heat and serve on a bed of fresh baby spinach. Put toast and sliced avocado onto the plates. Season with extra salt and pepper and garnish with a few basil leaves.
Enjoy! This is SUCH a filling and yummy breakfast.